Thursday, June 24, 2010

Telephone

Okay, so I know we were only out till 11 last night…. And I stayed up a little later to blog, but seriously I was soooo tired today! I didn’t get up for my run, because I needed more than 5 hours of sleep, but I was still tired!

Today I had my second day of Spanish lessons. Everything went very well…. No adventures today on my way home, thank goodness!! Kriby, one of the other girls is having her placement moved to RJI with me, which I’m very excited about. So her and I went over to RJI after Spanish school.

Tonight I had the most amazing meal ever! I’m not kidding- FREAKING AWESOME!!! I’m going to have Marcella teach me how to make it- Arroz con Pollo (rice with chicken). It was almost like a Stir-fry rice with veggies and chicken and this wonderful sauce. She has obviously been making this for a while. So I helped myself to seconds, and thirds…. I can’t wait to repeat that meal. Then for dessert (those of you who know me well, know this is the most important part of my meal…) we had fried plantains. I don’t even have words for how amazing this was. I should have taken pictures. I will next time, I promise. A plantain is similar to a banana, and it was cooked with sugar, cinnamon, butter, and I don’t know what else, but it was seriously heavenly!! Those of you who know me well, also know that I don’t eat bananas, but about two months before my trip, I made myself start eating them because I knew that they were popular here. The bananas here are nothing like back home…. They are so much sweeter! I love them! I could eat them every day!!

Then, after dinner some of the girls and I hiked over to the gym to take a spin class. The class was full so we went upstairs to work out, and did a dance class. This was my first taste of Salsa. I’m not going to lie, I’m pretty terrible, but I was totally getting into it. I made of fool of myself, and loved every minute of it. Lara, you would be very proud of me!! There were about 35 woman and 2 men crammed into this little studio, shaking what our mommas gave us! The instructor was this super skinny flamboyant dance queen. He, Yes he, was awesome! Mixed in with the salsa was a little hip hop… our last song was Lady GaGa, Telephone… So, I don’t think I’ll be joining dancing with the stars anytime soon, but I’m definitely looking forward to dancing my ass off at the gym J

I think we figured out where we are going this weekend for my birthday. I’m not bringing my computer so this is probably the last time I will have a chance to update before we leave. We are going to catch a bus tomorrow at 6pm down town San Jose to Quepos. We won’t get there till about 10pm, but Saturday morning ( MY BIRTHDAY!!!!) we are going to get up early and spend ALL day at the beach!! The beach that we are going to is Manuel Antonio. They have a national park there too, so Sunday before we head back to San Jose we want to hike a trail. I’m very ready for a weekend at the beach! This should be a fun way to spend my birthday and nice excursion in the country!!

I love you all, have a wonderful weekend, and I’ll update you when I can!!

-A

Random pic from today... before Spanish School

On my walk home from RJI... No rain today! First day it hasn't rained, but it looked it might.

One of my landmarks, so that I know I'm going the right way home.

Another landmark... I know a lot of the city is run down, but I love the neighborhoods with all of their character.
Lots of color in the city. I love it!

4 comments:

  1. awesome post ash. i hope you have the best birthday tomorrow!! sounds like a once in a life time experience:) even tho you are not bringing your computer make sure you take your camera:) will be thinking of you!
    hey...have the funniest story:) I wanted to call you so bad when it happened... the cat was sitting in the window sill in the front room. she must of leaned on the screen for a bug or something when all of a sudden the cat and the screen fall into the front yard. I called dad into the room to see what happened to the window when he looks out and sees the cat sitting in my flowers, not sure what to do. she actually jumped back thru the window... to funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited that you're sharing so much on your blog. For some reason, I thought that there wouldn't be much blogging once you made it to Costa Rica. Love the updates. Have a wonderful birthday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you had a blog! I know, where have I been I guess... I'm so excited! Now that I have a functioning computer I'll hopefully be a blogging fiend :) Hope you had a fantabulous Bday!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed the color around the city in the first picture you posted of the view of the city.. I love it too. Like you said, although the city seems kinda run down - it really does have a beauty all it's own.

    ReplyDelete