Saturday, June 19, 2010

Day 2

Last night I was finally able to get some rest! I needed it bad. But I got a great night of sleep and woke up feeling very refreshed. At the hotel we had breakfast provided for us and it was great. Normal breakfast stuff: fruit, eggs, toast.... The fruit was amazing though- Papaya and pineapple... I could live off of that stuff!

We had a meeting with our professor after breakfast to get some things settled with schedules and what not. After the meeting we had some time to kill before we went to our host families house, so of course being girls, we checked out the local mall. It was only few blocks away so we walked. Little did we know we would be risking our lives to cross the street. It was a little scary. Cars just fly through town, honking their horns like crazy, tailgating, and weaving in and out of traffic. It was funny to recognize so many stores in the mall, I was not expecting that. Our group of girls turned a lot of heads, we are very obviously tourist... I'm pretty sure that is something we will just have to get used to.

In each home stay there are two girls. Liz is the girl I'm living with and our Hostess is Marcela. She is a single woman and then she has some help that stays in the house with her. Marcela is wonderful! She showed us around town a little bit and everything is pretty much walking distance. The only thing about getting around in Costa Rica is that there are NO address. It is so bizarre. Streets don't have names, and there are absolutely no numbers. That is going to take some getting used to for sure. You just have to ask someone, and so I'm staying in the white house with blue trim across from the market....

In our homes, breakfast and dinner are provided for us. When Liz and I arrived we were offered bread pudding, and surprisingly it was wonderful. I know my dad would not believe it, but I actually really liked it. Maybe if I can get him to make it like they do here, I would eat his!! Dinner was a delicious pasta with a light cream sauce and some veggies and then some gazpatcho soup. All very good, I will not be going hungry here. Breakfast is served at 7am and dinner at 6.

The rest of the evening was spent just vegging out. I spent sometime looking at a map of the streets so that I can get to my agency on monday morning and to church tomorrow. They are both walking distance, so we will see how it goes. My Host Mom tried explaining to me where the church is, but like I said- no numbers or street names so I'm hoping that as I'm headed in the direction of the church I can find someone that knows. That's all for now, love you all!!

-A
This is our group- from r to l: Alejandra, me, Liz, Professor Miller, Shannon, Kirby, and Beth
I didn't bring my hair drying or straightener, so good by straight hair- its going to be frizz city for the next two months!


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the day two update! It was so much fun chatting with you last night. Let's skype tonight if you are free :) I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, day 2 was very interesting:) I bet you will get some come good cooking tips and come home ready to cook costa rica style. maybe 2 meals will be all you need:)I know as you get busier your time will be limited for blogging, but we will look forward to hearing all your adventures:) Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so did you make it to church?? haha that sounds so crazy.. it just seems LOGICAL to us to have street names and numbers. WHAT THE HECK?! Anyway, I'd love to see pics of Marcela's white house with blue trim (it always helps when you're missing someone to know where they are staying). Does your house have internet?? That would be fantastic! oooh, well good luck tomorrow - first day on the job! LOVE YOU SO MUCH! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I love the update. I agree with Lara...it always makes it easier to picture someone when you think of where they live and their surroundings. Thanks for posting again so soon! Life sounds crazy there, but so much fun. What an adventure!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did the mall have a J Crew? That is my only question. Love you, Ash!

    ReplyDelete