Monday, June 21, 2010

Corriendo

Today I stared my day with a nice run. It was perfect. I woke up at 5 am and set out on my venture. The streets were quiet, while the birds called, waking the rest of the city up slowly. There were a few lonely souls on the street, waiting for the bus to pick them up, but other than that it was just me, the pavement, and my pounding heart. Perfection. It was a quick run, because I haven’t run in a while, but well worth it. I’m excited to wake up tomorrow for the same thing.

Today was my first day at my internship/volunteer placement. I couldn’t be more delighted about what I’ll be working on the next nine weeks. The agency that I’m working for is an NGO that works on various projects in the community. They bring in volunteers from other countries to help with things like building community meetinghouses or schools. They have contacts with agencies all over the community that are in need of help and so all the other girls are set up in those other sites. There is one girl at a community home for special needs, older adolescents, to help develop better “life skills”. There are group of girls in a primary school doing more clinical work.

The first project for my time here is to create a sort of manual for a seminar or workshop that is to be given to the youth in the community about sexual health. So, I want to create specific lesson plans with activities that the volunteers can present to a group of adolescent. This is something totally different than what I’m used to, but I’m soooo very excited. This is going to be a wonderful project for me to complete. I think this will help me really look at another aspect of the culture and another aspect of social work that I’m not as familiar with. I have a lot of research to do, but I find this topic so fascinating, I don’t have any problem sitting down and spending all day reading articles and searching the Internet.

A bonus about working at RJI is that there is a guy from the states doing an internship there as well. It’s always nice to meet someone from the States who can help me do some translating. He has already been here for a month, so I can ask him all my silly questions about traveling around the country.

My Spanish is improving everyday. Although it stresses me out in social situations still, I’m getting better. I’m pretty comfortable trying to speak at my home stay and with Liz my roommate. Tomorrow is my first day of Spanish lessons here in CR. Should be fun!

I love you and miss you all!!

-A



This is my bedroom :)


My field work is here at the good ol' RJI


Outside of RJI


This is the random patch of green I found on sunday... I like this place.


This is a typical view of the city... Nothing really that beautiful, but I'm enjoying it.
Although, I'm ready for the beach.

5 comments:

  1. Gosh this nearly makes me cry, I'm so excited for you. Just knowing how nervous/anxious you were before you left, I'm so very relieved to hear that things are going so well (and that I was right after all! ;) I'm excited for your project too! How long do you get to work on it? When's that workshop? I love your home, I'm actually kind of surprised at how modern it is. It looks very comfortable :) I'm also really loving the city - I do think it's beautiful! it's colorful and very different from what we've seen before. how cool! AH, LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU VERY MUCH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting all the pictures! I LOVE THEM & I love being able to picture where you are at :) It helps to not feel like you are SO FAR AWAY! So glad everything is going so well! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. of course as your mother i zoned in on the fact that you are running by yourself so early! glad that you are feeling more comfortable and that you are finding your way around pretty good. also the language barrier i thought would be discouraging for you but you are certainly managing well. I love how well you keep us updated:) good luck with your project. Love you lots...your mommy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam, I also zoned in on that fact right away as well!

    ReplyDelete