Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Just Keep Walking

I feel like I spend SOOO much time walking each day. Everywhere we go, it seems like it's at least a 15 min walk. But it feels so nice, and honestly I feel like my legs even look different from walking to so much. Today I ran about 3 miles, walked 15 minutes to my internship, and 15 minutes back home, then walked an hour into San Jose, and an hour back.... Phew!

But I feel like all this walking around has totally helped acclimate quicker. I am able to make my way around the neighborhood easily, recognizing all the land marks. Next I would like to learn the bus system. I haven't had to take a bus anywhere yet, and I'm glad, it kind of freaks me out. But I think it's important for me to do.

Yesterday (meaning tuesday), I had quite the adventure! It was my first day of spanish lessons, and then from spanish lessons I had to make it to my internship (RJI). Well, the spanish lessons were a forty-five minute walk from my house, in the opposite direction of where RJI is. I am the only one that has to go, so I figured I could walk by myself and make it there, I thought I remembered the way.... and I didn't. I walked aimlessly around the San Pedro area for about 30 minutes, before I came across a sign that said "cup cakes and coffee" HALLELUJAH!!! It looks very American, and sure enough the woman working there was from Holland, Michigan. I asked her where we were on my map, and then how to get to RJI. She said it was too far to walk, and I should take the bus. Yeah, that was not the day I wanted to learn the bus system. I finally gave in and walked out the main road and grabbed a taxi. I was terrified to do so, thinking that if I got into a cab, the driver would take off and no one would ever see me again. I think I was being a little over paranoid... just a little. The cab driver ended up being wonderful. He spoke very little english, and I speak very little spanish, but it was enough for us to communicate, to get me where I needed to go. I feel pretty competent after that situation. Even though there is a big language barrier, I feel pretty good about making my way around.

After a meeting with our professor tonight the girls went out on the town. This was the first time we had been out past 9 since we arrived... we were out till 11 tonight :)

When we were walking around San Pedro we found a Roller Skating rink.
Everyone there was like like at least 15 and up, and all pretty awesome.
We agreed that we are going to dress up some night in 80's and show em' how its done!


Four of the girls before leaving for our meeting with our Professor- Bob Miller
(Alejandra, Kirby, Me, and Liz)

Liz and I in our front yard- Our first day of Spanish School :)

Liz and I with our Host Mom, Marcella.
She is wonderful!!

3 comments:

  1. i find myself waking up and looking at your blog first thing. everyday is such an adventure, that i feel like i'm reading a book and i can't wait for the next chapter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures best friend! I was so excited to see you updated :) Not going to lie though.... your "adventures" are freaking me out. & I also agree about the bus. STAY SAFE!

    I miss & love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cannot WAIT to see your roller derby night!! haha that's awesome

    ReplyDelete