Friday, July 2, 2010

TGIF

Even in Costa Rica, Friday is still the best day of the week. Friday’s are kind of my down day. I don’t have to go into RJI or Spanish class. I still wake up at 5:15 to go to running and have breakfast at 7, but after breakfast and getting ready I head into San Pedro to meet with my professor for supervision. Today was my first meeting with him. It was nice to have a little period of debriefing everything, figuring out how I’m feeing about things so far- putting all of my questions, comments, and concerns on the table. He was really digging to get some issues and concerns I’ve been having, but honestly I’m feeling pretty great about everything. I’m not much of a complainer, and my experience here has far exceeded any of my expectations. We talked for about an hour, and now the rest of the day is mine!!

Our group is headed to Fortuna tomorrow morning at 6:30am. Bob is coming with us and we are going to be doing some adventure stuff. I have never been an adrenaline junky, but I’m going to force myself to participate in EVERYTHING we do. We are starting the day with propelling- yes, propelling ourselves off the side a mountain…. I’ll be sure to document every detail of that after the weekend! We will also be doing zip lining, rafting, hiking, and hot springs. I’m a little nervous, but very excited.

Tonight we are going to take it easy, we want to go to dinner together and go see a movie. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to understand the movie, but I’m kind of excited. One of the girls asked if they would have subtitles, unfortunately I don’t think that will be the case. It will be a good way for me to practice listening to Spanish though!

I wasn’t really feeing that great this week. I discovered that I have allergies. All week I was blowing my nose and sneezing. My face felt congested, I was extremely exhausted, and all I wanted to do was sleep. I finally started to feel better last night, thank goodness!! I think adjusting to the climate change is what did it for me. I got almost 8 hours of sleep every night to help myself rest up. Finally, today I have felt great, and I’m ready for this adventure weekend!! It is interesting the way the pharmacies work here. They are these little stands on the side of the street, the one next to my house is fenced in to this woman’s front yard, and you just go up to them, tell them how you are feelings and they’ll give you a medication. I didn’t used it for allergies, but some of the other girls have. I’m sure that doctors prescribe certain medications for illness, but A LOT of things are just available over the counter.

I asked Marcela if she can start to show me how to cook. I’m very excited to bring home some new ideas. Although, it’s going to be kind of sad to come home and not have anyone to feed me breakfast, dinner, and dessert too everyday!

I will post more pictures soon- I don’t have my camera with me right now. Everyone enjoy your 4th of July weekend!! Miss you and love you all!!

-A

1 comment:

  1. I definitely like the posts better with pictures, but i'm sorry to hear you weren't feeling so good. glad things are looking up in that department:). church was packed today. you would of liked some of the people:)how was church for you? love you...

    ReplyDelete