Monday, July 12, 2010

Embracing the experience

Another week has come and gone. I can't even believe how fast time is going! I'm a little bit sad about that. I feel like I still have so much to experience that I can't possibly fit everything in to the time I have remaining.

Things at my internship are going very well. I'm still working on creating the manuel for the sexual health workshop. I went over everything that I have so far with my supervisor and everything looks great so far. Now I just have to do some translating so that there is a copy of the manuel in spanish and english. Google translate has helped with that, but it doesn't do everything correctly so, I have to have the girls help me with that portion of the project. I have really enjoyed this aspect of social work, it's totally different than anything I have done before. I think that program development will have to be something I look into when I start looking for jobs this fall.... and come December, hopefully I will be able to find ANY job related to social work!!!

Everything in the home stay is perfect. I feel so fortunate to have Marcela as my host mom. She has just been so helpful with my Spanish. I appreciate her being so patient with me. The food in the house is still delicious as always. I haven't learned to make anything yet because they usually prepare the food during the day while I'm out... but at some point before I leave I will learn a few things, I promise!

I feel very fortunate to have such wonderful support while on this trip. I have bonded so well with the girls here. I can't imagine trying to adjust without having such a tight knit group of girls. Every girl brings a different dynamic to the group that I absolutely love! I admire the skills and strength that each girl possesses, they are teaching me a lot about myself, and the world in general. It can be intimidating to spend time with such strong women who have many characteristics I would like to develop, but I am definitely working on my confidence, personally and professionally. My professor, Bob Miller, has also been another wonderful support. Every week each girl meets with him individually to talk about the adjustments, and how everything is going for us. Its kind of like a little mini therapy session :) I can tell that he is very concerned about making sure each girl is getting the support and experience they need while on the trip. Speaking professional, he is a good contact to have because he knows a lot of people and is very connected to the social work field. He is very intuitive to all of our needs, and picks up on how we are all adjusting to the culture and our experience.

This weekend, we all stayed in San Jose to spend some time with Bob and a few of his friends. Friday night, last minute, the girls decided to go out and see what the San Jose night life was like. We mad our way down to a few places that are close to the University of Costa Rica. There are a lot of schools here in Costa Rica, so there are a lot of young people here. It was a lot of fun!! The places we went to seemed to be mostly locals, so it was nice to be out of the tourist area. Then, Saturday night we made our way out with Bob, and a few of his friends, to a strip of clubs, and we just danced till 4 am!! It was soooo much fun (Lara and Corinn- you guys would have loved it)!!! We all want to go out and do it again soon!!!

So even after being out till 4 am, I was still able to make it to church on sunday for sacrament. I can tell that my spanish is getting better, because I could understand a lot more!!! Not everything by any means, but enough to get the idea of what is being talked about. Its pretty exciting!! The language is still a struggle, and I'm trying really hard not to rely on the other girls. But I met some Tico friends to hang out with and one of them only speaks spanish so I'm thinking that spending time with him will help me increase my ability even more!!!

Three weeks down and six more to go!!!! Believe it or not, I do miss home. I don't like feeling like I'm missing out on everyone else's life. Please email me and tell me what you're all up to!! Thanks, for all the comments on the blog, and prayers. I love you all!!

I'll post pics soon.... for those of you friends with me on facebook, you have an early sneak peak :)

-A

5 comments:

  1. I feel like you are on a mission:) do all the other girls in your group speak fluent spanish?
    now that memorial day and cherry festival are over it feels like the summer has hit the downward swing. i hate seeing the school supplies and the fall decorations out already:(
    love hearing about all your adventures, but i still tend to worry, (can't help it,i'm a mom)
    please be safe and smart on your excursions...love you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome that your spanish is getting better. what an asset that will be for your career. I can't believe it has been three weeks! You have already done so much! I forget that you are actually down there to learn something and not just on vacation. I'm glad that the girls you're with have been so fun to get to know and that you all get along. Love you and love hearing about everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not going to lie... when I first read "strip of clubs" I left out the of and read "STRIP CLUBS!" ha ha... I about died!

    So glad you are having so much fun best friend. Nothing like a little summer romance to make it just a little bit more exciting :) I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the same thing Corrin:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The internship sounds amazing! I'm glad that you've got a great cohort and wonderful professor. Your experiences in Costa Rica are once in a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete